Thursday, May 15, 2014

Fangirl


As I count down to BookBuzz 2014 in NYC later this month, I’m turning the book blog over to some other authors for guest posts.  Today it’s Glynis Astie, author of the fab debut chick lit novel French Twist and its sequel, French Toast.
Girl on a Wire peeps, meet Glynis…
I can barely contain my excitement about attending BookBuzz 2014 in New York City!  The opportunity to mix and mingle with a group of very talented authors and fabulous readers is such a treat.  Though I am certainly no stranger to being a fangirl when it comes to women’s fiction, the role of author is brand-spanking new to me.  I’ve been a published author for less than a year, and I feel I haven’t a clue what I’m doing yet.
I’ve been most fortunate to have met an incredible group of chick lit authors, and it all began just three short months ago with my first Twitter friend, Finding Lucas author Samantha Stroh Bailey.  When our conversation string started, I had no idea of the many ways she would change my life. 
Samantha offered a great deal of sage advice.  She invited me to join a chick lit Facebook group where I met a number of other welcoming authors.  I was pleasantly overwhelmed by the camaraderie of the group and by how quickly I was assimilated.  Navigating the role of new author is rather daunting, and knowing that you are not alone makes a world of difference.  When I find myself overwhelmed by the blank computer screen in front of me, by the ridiculously large number of marketing options available to me, or even by the breadth of social media, I have a support group to turn to.
Within my first month of hard-core social media participation, I had “cyber” met hundreds of authors, but I was always drawn back to my chick lit Facebook groups.  Every day I found myself fascinated by the community that they had formed and by the myriad things that I learned from them. I slowly found the courage to participate in the discussions and found my confidence growing by the day.
Just the other day, I had the pleasure of meeting THE Meredith Schorr!  I kept reminding myself to be cool as I chatted with the very talented author of Just Friends With Benefits,A State of Jane and Blogger Girl.  It may surprise you to hear this, but I can be a total dork.  If you don’t believe me, please feel free to read my books.  My heroine, Sydney Bennett, is most definitely my alter ego!
And the best part? Not only have I discovered an abundance of really talented chick lit and women’s fiction authors, but also I have made some good friends.  I feel both inspired and humbled by the fabulous books that these amazing women have written.  I may be an author now, but the fangirl in me is very much alive and well.
The arrival of BookBuzz 2014 means that I get to meet many of these outstanding authors in person!  Francine LaSalaCat LavoieLydia Laceby, oh my!  And I will FINALLY meet Samantha Stroh Bailey, the woman who started it all for this rather, um, eccentric author.
Are you jealous? No need to be! Simply visit this link, RSVP and prepare to have an awesome time!  Hope to see you there!
- Glynis Astie, author of the French Twist series
BookBuzz2014 takes place Thursday, May 29 at 7 p.m. at the Galway Pub  at 7 E 36th Street in NYC.  Come enjoy a FREE signature Pink Stiletto drink, great nibblies, and autographed novels at a great price - all while you mix and mingle with more than a dozen of the hottest names in women’s fiction.  RSVP to reserve your space - and we will see you there! 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the lovely post, K.C.! As the days pass by I get more and more excited about BookBuzz 2014! So many authors to meet, so little time! And now that I have finished your awesome book, Fifty Ways to Leave Your Husband, I can move on to Haunted: A Heather Hollow Story. It sounds quite intriguing! I am impressed with your range and can only hope to be able to test the waters in a different genre upon the completion of the French Twist series. Wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete